After we received the call we all dashed up to the roof. Within an hour or so the ladies had moved into the perch of a windscreen. We set up a temporary hive box and began the hunt for the queen.
We thought the swarm was simply resting on this windscreen. It turned out they had burrowed into a narrow crevice at the spine of the structure. It runs about 6 ft high and they were mostly about four feet down inside. We did our best to smoke them out but had very little luck. The ladies were thoroughly jammed in the interior of the structure.
Alas, we patiently tryed to coax the queen (and thus swarm) out of their temporary hiding spot and into our sophisticated swarm catching device. Upon checking in last night and this morning, it was clear they weren’t having it—the queen and swarm are still in the spine. We’re having very little success with catching the swarm, and in the meantime are working on adding another super to give more than enough room for the remaining bees in the hive. Any other tips for making sure the remaining hive bees stay where they are would be greatly welcome!